Wednesday, December 28, 2011

La Mondianese unoaked Barbera, a cheap wine that you can actually stomach!



Living in the city, money tends to fly out yo' pocket at a steady pace.  There is always a quest to find an affordable, under $15 bottle of wine that doesn't make your skin crawl while drinking it.  In Italy, you have vini sfusi to stock up on by the 1.5L Water bottle, here you gotta search it out for those nights when you just want a simple, drinkable cheap wine to go with everyday food. Last night cooking for my roomates birthday I gave some unoaked Barbera a chance.

La Mondianese Barbera d'Asti 2009 ''Baby Barb'' - First thing I must say is that the Baby Barb thing turned me off just a bit.  But anyway, the wine was lovely.  I bought it in Brooklyn for about $13 and I have even seen it online for just a bit over $10.  This wine is 100% Barbera, and it goes through malolactic fermentation in stainless steel. Simple, food friendly acidity, showing Barbera's character... exactly what I was looking for on this night.

1 comment:

  1. I love coming to this blog. There is always new information on wines and brings together people who love all types of wine together to discuss.

    ReplyDelete