Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Sonnino (parte 1)


I recently stumbled upon a Sonnino blog, which inspired me to post on all things sonnineseSonnino is where my grandfather Americo Contenta was born, and then around 1928 his family immigrated to the states.  It is located in Lazio in the province of Latina.  There is a population of about 7,000 people, and like most places in Italy is unique in having its own dialect, cooking, wine, olive oil and so on.... It is also known for the birthplace of Italian national football player Alessandro Altobelli.  The best time to go is in the end of August and September, when you can pick endless amounts of fresh figs from the trees
above, a shot of my sister Ashley, looking out into the view from the main piazza.  From the last trip in August, 2009.
above, the basket maker.  A neighbor of my cousins farm house in Sonnino, still hand makes baskets...
the neighbors chickens....
above, pants drying in the sun...
Sonnino is a magical place.  I have eaten some of the most tasty food here.  My cousins produce their own olive oil, wine, soap, make their own pasta on a regular basis, and wash their clothes by hand.  I stayed here for a few days in the summer of '09 and it is truly like living in the 1800's.  I even showered in the garden with a hose next to where their grapes grow...

No comments:

Post a Comment