Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Scan Life with Antonio Vallana Spanna


Stumbled upon a very modestly priced bottle of Antonio Vallana Colline Novaresi 2008 at around $13.  Started searching out some information on this wine when I noticed the QR (Quick Response) Code apart from the UPC code.  I have seen these around and haven't had the chance to research or use the technology at all.  But now that I have found it on bottles of delicious Spanna I decided it was time to check it out.  Apparently the QR code was invented by Toyota in 1994 as a way to track vehicles during manufacturing.  I guess I'm a little behind the times, but in this particular case it was amazing when I simply scanned the code with the ScanLife App within a second it brought me to a webpage with all the information I was looking for on this particular wine.



Above, scanning the QR code to the bottom right....


Instant information about the wine popping up at Michael Skurnik Wines...

Besides all this nerdy shit, the wine was delicious and simple upon opening. although the next day opened up a beautiful and deep earthiness that didnt exist previously.  Skurnik says we have 95% Spanna with the balance Vespolina and Bonarda.  It is quite a bright colour and not exactly what you would expect (coulorwise) from a 100% nebbiolo wine vinified traditionally.  It is Fermented in cement tanks and then is aged for six months in large oak casks.

No comments:

Post a Comment