Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pic Saint Loup Ermitage and the Garrigue Effect


Over the last couple of months my roommates and I noticed this very petit bistro slowly pop up in our turf of Williamsburg.  Bistro Petit. After pointing fun at this tiny business for a few weeks my mate Jimmy sprung it on me to give it a try on a quiet Sunday evening.  I first checked some Yelp reviews because I was very hesitant, and every single one raved about it even going as far as claiming best spot in Williamsburg.

We left our apartment and one block away there is Bistro Petit.  Some of the interesting notes about this restaurant are NO BATHROOM, NO TAP WATER, NO BOOZE, but thankfully BYO no corkage charged.  The baby blue tiles await you with a very small but interesting menu including a kobe burger, lamb shank, homemade pasta and duck confit. It is a truly intimate restaurant and grasps the feeling of your go to small local eatery where you can unwind with whatever the hell you want to drink.

This time around on a Tuesday night, after barely sneaking into a spot at this twelve person capacity restaurant I brought a bottle of 2009 Ermitage du Pic Saint Loup ($17).


The Ermitage is a blend of 50% Syrah, 40% Grenache and 10% Mouvedre from the Languedoc.  Since 1999 the Ravaille brothers have been practicing Biodynamics, and mainly traditional techniques.  This wine had beautiful fruit and mouthfeel with a touch of femininity that was reminiscent of some Paolo Bea wines.  The nose was strongly muddy and herbal, which with some research I discovered the meaning of Garrigue.

The word Garrigue refers to the windswept hilltops around Provence which include scrub-brush and Provencal herbs.  It's used in wine tasting to describe the notes of rosemary, fennel, thyme, lavender and lemon verbena that are typically found in red wines from Provence and The Languedoc.  What an amazing sensation in this wine and with it I ordered the duck confit which I had planned at the end of my last trip. All so very delicious together.


Above, Chef Park at Bistro Petit
South 3rd and Driggs of Williamsburg.
Brooklyn, NY

2 comments:

  1. Huge fan of Midi appellations! This Pic Saint Loup & a Fitou were my 'house wines' when I was shacked up in a ghetto Cap d'Agde apt last year. I think wines from this region are tremendous values. Almost afraid the rest of the world will figure it out & the prices will go up. Found a great little Corbiers (Le Petit Gleon) from Chateau Haut Gleon actually in the states ($14.99) & wish I'd stocked up on it. Hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah its pretty interesting wine, especially with that price like you said. feels good to try some different french wines, iv been mingling with so much italian wines lately, gotta get at something new. thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete